December 02, 2013

Kai-lan with Fried Shallots, Ginger & Garlic

For the longest time, I have been frying my leafy vegetables in oil and then adding stock to it which prolong its cooking time and ended up with overcooked leafy vegetables. So, I decided to reverse the process by bringing the stock to boil before adding my vegetables for a quick stir. However, the stems have to be cooked first as they are tougher and took longer cooking time than the leafy parts.

Please take a look at my video tutorial and note that I uses the 'steam hint' to gauge cooking time for the leafy parts. Once I see steam coming out from the lid, it is ready for a quick stir after switching off the fire. I uses this method for all my leafy vegetables.

I love how my Kai-lan was cooked without oyster sauce. I wouldn't mind using chicken stock instead but I had used some fish sauce and chinese wine as the stock because its not overpowering. When eaten with the fragrant toppings of fried shallots, ginger and garlic, it is perfect.



Ingredients
1 pkt of Kai-lan, separate leaves and stems (Skin of thicker stems are removed)
6 shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 knot of ginger, thinly sliced

Seasoning:
Half cup of water
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp chinese wine
A pinch of salt

Method
  1. Using small fire and 5 tbsp of oil, fry the shallots and ginger until they are just starting to turn brown
  2. Add garlic and fry till fragrant
  3. Set aside the fried shallots, ginger and garlic
  4. Pour half cup of hot water into wok
  5. Switch to medium fire
  6. Add seasoning
  7. Add stems of Kai-lan
  8. Cook for 45 seconds
  9. Add leaves of Kai-lan
  10. Cover and cook until you see steam coming out of the lid
  11. Uncover and switch off fire
  12. Stir Kai-lan until coated with seasoning
  13. Dish up
  14. Served with fried shallots, ginger and garlic
Note
  • The leaves may look uncooked once you uncover the lid but it is cooking every second in the wok. By the time you dish it up, it will be just right.
  • You can replace water with chicken stock if you prefer.

Watch video